My Personal Advocate (MPA)
Have you ever felt rushed or confused during a doctor’s appointment?
It’s hard to understand everything doctors say, figure out what questions to ask, and what information may be important to tell them. Doing your own research can be overwhelming and confusing. A personal physician advocate can save you time, help you find the right information, and explain everything, so you feel confident talking with your doctors and making good decisions.
Dr. Alan Feren is an experienced, empathetic physician who advises on adult medical issues and procedures. He has over 50 years of experience as a surgeon, chief medical officer, family caregiver, and patient who’s had many major procedures. These experiences have given him a deep understanding of the healthcare system and the challenges patients face when making key decisions. He’s available to advise you through My Personal Advocate (MPA) on The Amazing Care Network.
Learn how to have better clinical outcomes and more satisfaction with your care.
Dr. Feren can help you:
- Understand procedures, treatment options, or a diagnosis
- Understand how a condition or treatment may affect you or anyone who cares for you
- Make better decisions about your care and treatment plan
- Navigate the confusing health care system
- Find trusted information that’s right for you, and help you understand it
- Ask the right questions so you can make informed decisions
- Build a good relationship with your medical providers
Clarity, understanding and communication can reduce stress and lead to better health outcomes.
How Does MPA Work?
- Please email Dr. Feren using firstname.lastname@example.org. At that time, a no-charge 15’ pre-consultation discussion will be scheduled to determine if Dr. Feren can provide guidance for your medical issue(s).
- If guidance can be helpful, a Zoom video consult typically lasting up 1 hour will be scheduled at a mutually acceptable time and date. You do NOT need to be an Amazing Care member.
- You’ll be asked to pay when you schedule.
- A fee of $250 is payable in advance for each virtual visit
- 50% of this fee will be donated to support the Amazing Care Charitable Foundation
- You don’t have to send anything, but if you wish, you may forward test or lab results using a state-of-the-art encrypted e-mail address.
- Any family or friends involved in your care are encouraged to attend the consult.
- During the video consult, Dr. Feren listens to your issues and challenges, answers questions, then suggests appropriate questions to ask, possible additional tests or treatment options, and trusted information that’s right for you.
Privacy: All information is only used to help you understand your health issues. Privacy and confidentiality are maintained during and after all interactions.
What’s Not included?
- Dr. Feren does not treat people, write prescriptions for medications, or order tests.
- He doesn’t contact or discuss your medical issues with your healthcare providers.
- He doesn’t negotiate the costs of medications, treatments, or services with hospitals, labs, or clinics where you receive treatment, or with your health insurance.
- He does not currently advise on:
- Children’s Health (pediatrics)
- Pregnancy and Childbirth (obstetrics)
- Women’s reproductive health and surgery (gynecology)
- Cancer care (oncology)
- Behavioral and Mental Health issues, like depression
If you would like a patient advocate to help you with other health conditions, end-of-life issues, insurance, bills, or other issues, go to GNAnow.org — or ask Dr. Feren to recommend a patient advocate.
How do I pay My Personal Advocate’s invoice?
Payment is accepted only through PayPal and in advance of your virtual visit. You can pay MPA’s invoice by clicking Pay Now in the email that was sent you.
If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can create a new account before you pay.
If you don’t want to create an account, you can pay using a credit or debit card using PayPal.
- Check your email inbox for an email from us that includes the invoice.
- Click the Pay Now button in the email. (If you don’t see it, click the link in the email, or copy and paste the link into your browser’s address bar.)
- Look for a section on the payment screen that reads “Don’t have a PayPal account?” You should see a link titled “continue checkout” somewhere in this section. Select this link to open the credit card input screen.
- Enter your personal information, billing address and credit or debit card information into the appropriate lines on the input screen. Click the “Review Payment” button when you are done.
- Review the payment details displayed on the screen to make sure everything is correct. If you need to edit any of the information, click the “Change” button at the bottom of that section. When you are satisfied that your credit or debit card information is accurate, click the “Pay Now” button to finalize your payment.
- If you don’t have the email that was sent to you, please notify me at email@example.com. A 2nd invoice will be sent on request.